If I've said it once, I've said it a million times--I just don't GET the numbers that are thrown out during pregnancy, they are so confusing! The latest oddity to add into the mix is that babies are considered "full term" at 37 weeks (um, yeah, that would be right now). If he's full term now, then why are there 3 more weeks until my due date? I understand the logisics of it--he's practicing getting "ready for the outside world", building up more fat for protection, yada, yada, yada...but if it's better that he stay in there until 40 weeks, then why are babies considered full term at 37? Oh the silliness that comes along with being pregnant...
All that said, I have quit trying to make sense of these tricky numbers because when it comes down to it, this baby's gonna come when he's ready no matter what my "numbers" say. Thus I arrive at a conclusion-->numbers don't mean squat. Which is pretty ironic considering that's pretty much all people focus on and ask me about these days regarding this little guy ;)
.
Oh, and one more thing, in case you're still not sure about how I arrived at my conclusion: according to my doctors, I will be 40 weeks pregnant on February 28, yet they have never "officially" changed my due date from March 4. Last time I checked, that's 5 days later--almost an entire week. When I asked my doctor about it he said, "eh, it's just an estimation anyways," which obviously I know, but still, when it's all you have to go on...
Alas, just another case in point on why numbers don't matter.
Moving right along...
The photo session with Cori went really well last weekend. I know that she got some great shots and I can't WAIT to see them :) It was a whole lot of fun and I'm so excited to see the end product once she's done putting her finishing touches on them!
My poor Tony has been sick ALL WEEK :*( He started feeling kinda run down last Sunday night during the Super Bowl, went to work on Monday, and then by Monday afternoon he was feeling pretty crummy. He's been running a fever and has had some terrible congestion--it sounds like he's on the verge of coughing up a lung any second! He's headed to the doctor today though so hopefully they'll get him feeling better soon.
I have 2 baby showers this weekend and I am SO excited! On Saturday my very sweet friends are having a baby shower brunch for me at Emilie's house. Incidences of getting the whole crew together are few and far between and I can't wait to see my girls :) I have a feeling that it's going to be a VERY FUN and EXCITING day!!! On Sunday, Elisa (Tony's aunt) is hosting a shower for me at her house. It should be a very nice time, I am looking forward to that one as well.
37 weeks: Um, a cucumber...? I've NEVER seen a 6 lb cucumber in my life, but ok, we'll go with it....

With just 3 more weeks to go and at about 6 ½ pounds, your baby is doing just fine. You can expect weight gain to be about half an ounce per day.—boys, though, are likely to be heavier at birth than girls. Since your little one is considered full-term now, if your baby was to leave the wet nest this week, he would likely thrive. That's because Mother Nature and you have done such a fine job. 

So what's keeping your little one busy while waiting it out until D-day? Practice, practice, practice. Your baby is simulating breathing by inhaling and exhaling amniotic fluid, sucking on his thumb, blinking, and pivoting from side to side (one day you feel the tushy on the left side, another day it has swung around to the right side). All these are skills needed for his next gig — starring as newborn.
Here's an interesting fact: Your baby's head (which, by the way, is still growing) will, at birth, be the same size circumference as his hips, abdomen, and shoulders. And guess what's making an impression (literally) these days on those shoulders and hips: fat — causing little dimples in those cute elbows and knees, shoulders and hip, and creases and folds in the neck and wrists


2 comments:
Have so much fun at your showers and give Emilie a big hug for me!!
A cucumber?? Im with you... that is a little odd.
Hang in there... not too much longer!!
Hannah! You are about to have a baby!!! I still can't believe it and am just so excited for y'all! I am ready to meet baby Owen! Love you! em
Post a Comment