Friday, August 22, 2008

Catherine Update

I spoke with Robyn last night and got an update on little Catherine. For the most part, it is not new information, but rather details and further explanation of what is going on with our sweet baby girl. Here is what she told me:

Catherine's lungs are not oxygenating her organs as they should and that is why she is on the ECMO machine. For those of you (like me!) who had no idea what this ECMO thing is, it stands for Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation and it takes over functions for the heart and lungs, pumping blood and exchanging carbon dioxide for oxygen outside of her body. The immediate goal and a specific prayer request is that Catherine be able to get off of ECMO as soon as possible. It is good for her while she is on it as it is providing vital oxygen to her body, but long term it is not good for her. I did a little research, and ECMO can damage red blood cells which are the cells that carry oxygen so that is one (of probably several) reasons that she needs to get off of it as soon as she can.

Also, Catherine has a weak aortic arch. This is the curved portion at the top of her aorta. I did some research on this as well, but I am quite medically challenged and could not really follow the technical definition of what exactly it does so you might want look that one up yourself if you would like to know more about it. I'm afraid I would completely mess things up if I attempted to go into any more detail about it! Basically what we need to know about this is that Catherine's lungs and heart are competing against each other rather than working together and this is quite tiring for her tiny little body. This is the other specific prayer request--that Catherine's aortic arch will strengthen so that her heart and lungs can work together and not put as much strain on her body. Originally Catherine was to undergo surgery a week from her birth, but now they are putting off any surgery for 2 weeks. I wasn't given a reason for this, I can only guess it is to allow her body to strengthen and grow as much as possible.

Catherine's condition was a bit critical on Wednesday night, but as of yesterday evening (Thursday) she was stable and doing well. Katie and Donnie have a hotel in Charlottesville so they are very close to their baby girl. Their local support team of family and friends that come to the hospital each day (about 20 people I believe!) are scattered all over Richmond (where Katie & Donnie live) and commute back and forth to Charlottesville (about 1 1/2 hours) each day. This group includes Katie's parents--Peggy & Terry, her brother--Matthew, a lot of Donnie's family, our friends Robyn, Emilie, & Shelly, and many others as well. Please also keep this group in your prayers--for their traveling safety as well as for their strength & stamina as they minister to and encourage Katie, Donnie, and baby Catherine.

Our prayers are being heard and they are working! So many praises to our wonderful and merciful Lord! Please be in specific prayer for Catherine's aortic arch to strengthen and for her to be able to get off of ECMO as quickly as possible. Also please be in continued prayer for Katie and Donnie. They are doing so well and are so very strong and such an INCREDIBLE source of support for each other.


Before they call I will answer, while they are still speaking I will hear. -Isaiah 65:24

1 comments:

Beth Goff said...

THANKS for the update! We are praying!